Producers of local high quality food receive a sustainable income which although more costly to hotels than a bulk import is fresher, tastier and has more nutritional value though the lack of time it has spent incurring air miles.
Jamaica’s Leading Proponent 0 Food Miles
Hotel Mockingbird Hill has been one of Jamaica’s leading proponents of 0 Food Miles since we first opened our doors two decades ago. When we won Responsible Travel’s ‘Best Hotel for the Environment’ award back in 2010, the Virgin judge praised us for the recognition and communication we provided on all our local providers. Our commitment in 2015 remains ‘From Farm & Sea to Table’ by:
- Supporting our local communities using the quality ingredients and food that they grow, raise and catch.
- Growing our own herbs, salad leaves in our own organic gardens
- Serving organic fruits from our own trees
- Using endemic versions of better known ingredients
- Replacing sugar with honey from local bee-keepers in the Mille Fleurs kitchen
- Increasing the knowledge and use of locally grown breadfruit flour as a sustainable alternative to wheat flour.
- Readily providing all our guests with details of their food miles.
- Respecting closed seasons and promoting seasonability
Find out more about eating at our Mille Fleurs restaurant