This moreish Punjabi vegetarian Indian Rajma Curry uses kidney beans in a delicious, robust dish that is guaranteed to warm you up on a cold day and keep energy levels high with its low Glycemic Index.
They say family recipes are the best, they come with great memories too; my Mother handed this Rajma recipe down and by sharing it I hope it will grace an animated mealtime in another part of the world Â too, it’s already been very well received when served as part of our thaliÂ at Mille Fleurs.
- 250 g Kidney beans
- 4 Onions
- 4 Red Chilies
- 3 Green Chilies
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- ½ ” Piece of Ginger
- 1 Cup of Water
- 4 Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Pods Cardamom
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala
- 1 Lemon 1
- 2 tbsp. Ghee
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp. Coriander leaves, chopped
- Soak red beans overnight with a pinch of baking soda. Grind together onion, garlic, ginger, chilies to a smooth paste.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the ground mixture until golden brown. Keep stirring to avoid it sticking to the pan.
- Put in the drained red beans and water, Bring to the boil and then lower heat.
- Add tomatoes, cinnamon and Cardamom and simmer till the beans are tender. Season with salt, Lemon juice and Garam Masala. Sprinkle coriander leaves before serving.