Our watermelon and vodka cooler cocktail is one of our guests’ favourites to order up at the bar; it’s sweetly refreshing with ginger ale and mint providing a sparkly tang to leave a crisp clean taste. Here’s Barbara’s recipe to try at home which is cooling enough to counter any heatwave.
- 3 pounds watermelon
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1 ¼ cups ginger ale
- ¼ cup vodka
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ice cubes
- Purée 3 pounds watermelon in a food processor.
- Muddle 2 tablespoons fresh mint with 1 tablespoon superfine sugar in a large pitcher.
- Fill it with ice cubes
- Stir in 2 cups purée, 1¼ cups ginger ale, ¼ cup vodka, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and 3 or 4 splashes bitters.
- Garnish with fresh mint.
- Serves 6 to 8